Artificial intelligence and machine learning are one of the top trends in digital marketing for 2017. Over the last few years, there has been an increase in the use of artificial intelligence or chatbots across all industries. Chatbots are used almost exclusively in apps such as Siri or Amazon Echo due to their adaptability and versatility.
You could say that chatbots are the new customer service reps, not to mention the new support system for marketers. In future, more people will turn to chatbots to manage their daily chores, be it ordering a ride or a pizza.
In fact, the rise of bots could be plainly attributed to increasing usage of messenger apps. According to Forester, people spend a staggering 85% of their time using the top messenger apps including Facebook Messenger, Kik, Slack, and Whatsapp. So, businesses lately have come to realize that building a chatbot on one of the popular messenger platforms could be more viable proposition than developing a specialized app.
6 Reasons Chatbots can benefit your business:
- Customer service: How often have you sat on the phone, listening to boring recorded messages (that you tune out after the first dozen times), waiting over a half hour for a customer service representative to pick up the phone and answer your question, which takes you five seconds to ask? We have a younger generation, used to being able to do everything online — ordering food, doing banking tasks, shopping and more. This is especially important, in light of the fact that most customer service calls and complaints are simple to resolve. This is where chatbots come in. Instead of having to call and sit on a phone waiting to ask a five-second question, you can simply message a customer service chatbot and get your answer in a flash.By providing this option for customers, you will lower the stress of dealing with customer service and increase customer satisfaction with your brand.
- Chatbots Come Mobile Optimized: Chatbots come mobile optimized so you don’t have to go through the additional trouble of getting them mobile-optimized. More importantly, they are easy to implement. Say, for instance, Taco Bell’s TacoBot app. The chatbot integrated with Slack – which one of the world’s leading work chat platforms – that lets employees chat, order and pay directly from Slack. Additionally, Tacobot answers questions, offer recommendations and also organize group office orders. On top of it, the chatbot boasts of witty personality – a unique trait associated with Taco Bell.Lawrence Kim, Taco Bell’s director of digital innovation says:
“The TacoBot Slack integration is the latest step on our journey to make the brand more accessible, wherever and whenever our fans want it. It’s the next best thing to having your own Taco Bell butler… and who wouldn’t want that?”
- Chatbots Ensure Consistent Brand Voice Across All Social Media Channels: The social media landscape is fragmented. And, with the growing popularity of several social media platforms, it’s become all the more crucial for businesses to maintain a strong brand presence across all major platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, among many others. This means businesses have to run multiple campaigns across various platforms and update them regularly. Given their growing audience profile, businesses can’t afford to resort to mundane content marketing efforts, unless, of course, they don’t mind customers making their way toward competitors site. Enter chatbots. By Integrating them across all social media platforms and then having them interlinked, marketers can update brand messages at once across all platforms. This makes sure you have a consistent brand voice across all platforms.
- Consumer analysis: Chatbots can play a large role analyzing customer data, and optimizing sales and marketing strategies in light of this analysis.According to Forbes, “Chatbots can be programmed to track purchasing patterns and monitor data from consumers. This tells a company which products to market differently, which to market more and which to redevelop for the relaunch.”
This means that you will save money by not having to hire another analyst and that the analysis will be higher level due to the lack of human error.
- Site feedback: Chatbots are great for reaching out to customers via simple questions and the gathering of feedback. This strategy is useful, especially for website optimization. Garnering feedback from customers will help you fix low converting pages and improve your site all around.For example, if you have a landing page that receives huge numbers in organic traffic, but no one is buying, you could have your chatbot reach out with a survey, to glean information as to why people are leaving the page without purchasing.
- Proactive customer interaction: Most brands employ passive customer interaction, i.e., they only respond to customers and do not reach out. But, instead of waiting for the customer to initiate contact with your brand, you should reach out. Chatbots are ideal for these “reach out” initiatives. To do this, the accompanying action should be something small, like inquiring whether or not the customer needs assistance — which lets the customer know that the brand is present and available to assist as needed. This alone will boost the customer’s feelings of closeness to the brand.
Chatbots growing influence among businesses is undeniable. Nevertheless, businesses need to adopt a more fail-safe approach is to treat their customers well because of bots, unlike humans, are emotionless machines and won’t be able to offer convincing answers to each and every customer query. The only fail-safe way to keep your customers consistently happy is by making sure that human support is available whenever bots face an unusual question or a query.
Thank you for reading!
Feel free to comment with your thoughts and ideas! I always welcome new ideas.
Please follow me @cosimocreatesbuzz on Twitter and on Google+ at Cosimocreatesbuzz.
Check out my Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/cosimocreatesbuzz/
Maxin, J. (2017, January 13). 6 reasons Marketers should start using Chatbots in 2017 – Smart Insights Digital Marketing Advice. Retrieved April 25, 2017, from http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/app-marketing/6-reasons-marketers-start-using-chatbots-2017/
Samson, E. (2017, March 10). 7 Ways Chatbots Can Benefit Your Marketing Strategy. Retrieved April 25, 2017, from https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/286079